Monday, October 24, 2011

Amboise

So Amboise is cute but small - a day (or even a half day) is plenty.  I didn't know this when we planned the trip but it's also the (supposedly) final resting place of Leonardo DiVinci.  He retired here 3 years before his death.

This is the "old" part of town.  It's only a few blocks long.  There's a street perpendicular to this one about a block past the bell tower.  The Chateau is on that street.  Surrounding the Chateau are a bunch of restaurants.  We only tried two but they were both in the good but not great category.

DSC03561

This is Amboise, the Loire river and valley from the Chateau.

DSC03613

This is the front lawn of Leonardo's house (which is now a museum).  It has replicas of a bunch of his inventions (you've seen them: the rotating bridge, the flying machine - which you can see on the right side of the picture below - etc).  So my thought was "Genius my ass, if he was so smart with a lawn like this why didn't he invent the riding mower?"

DSC03603

Here's the Chateau (I think I'm castled out - all I kept hearing was blah blah blah King this did this.  Blah blah blah 1504 Francois the blah blah blah).  It was pretty but I like the medieval stuff.

IMG 1545

Well that's it for Amboise.  Ta ta from the Ramparts of Chateau Amboise.  See you all in Paris!

DSC03657

 

No comments:

Post a Comment