Friday, October 20, 2023

Fine Dining

We've really enjoyed trying some of the UK's, if not the worlds, best restaurants and food. One of our goals this trip was to try some of the food of the amazing chefs we've watched on the telly - mostly through the Great British Menu. We've had some innovative food and great wines. I've learned a ton about different food preparations, menu composition, presentation, wine, and service in general. For example, don't get caught up with the standard ideas (meat and veg, fish before meat, red wine with meat, etc) and just do what works, focus on the main ingredient and don't let garnishment detract for it, sharing is fun, and small plates are better than big plates. I'll use much of this in my cooking at home (when I do fancier stuff). 

And, we're tired of all the fine dining. We both agree we're looking forward to some home cooking and not having wine with each course. I know - I can hear the worlds smallest violin playing - 1%er problem. I'm not writing this to complain but just to say part of what makes special occasions special is the fact it's an occasion not a regular occurrence. Too much of a good thing and the experiences blur. You get hypercritical of what is served (is this a good thing?) - we notice seasoning, quality of produce, garnish, etc. In short you tend to become a critic rather than just enjoying the event.

Still I wouldn't change a thing. Being "foodies" is a shared hobby for Fran and I. In that regard this is the trip of a lifetime. But, we are looking forward to a steak and some broccoli cooked on the grill at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment