Thursday, October 2, 2014

Edinburgh

IMG 3315 IMG 3317 The two pictures above are for my friend Zum. John - I can't say I've crossed the Firth of Forth to Fife. I can say I've crossed the Firth of Forth from Fife, right into Edinburgh. IMG 3335 This is the base of the "Royal Mile" - the Scottish Parliament. The Palace of the Holyrood, where the queen stays when she's in town, is right here too. IMG 3340 The Royal Mile is a long street stretching up... IMG 3343 and up... IMG 3344 to Edinburgh Castle. We toured the Castle today (the picture was taken yesterday). They had a "free" (if you paid to get in) guided tour which was actually pretty fun, the guide was a bit of a stand up comic mixing politics and history. The castle and its history are fascinating but I'll let you look that up if you are interested. IMG 3355 Down from the Castle is Prince's street and the Prince's gardens. These were really beautiful (thanks to John Cuddy for pointing me to these). IMG 3359 This is the Monument to Sir Walter Scott. We just like the looks of it. IMG 3360 Another shot in the Prince's Garden. IMG 3371 And of course I focus on the most culturally relevant finds.

We also toured the Scottish national gallery today which was filled with Italian and Danish renaissance art. It's not Paris or London but it was a pretty impressive collection.

We're learning to like Indian food (salmon and haggis gets old quick). Off to see Hadrian's wall and Durham tomorrow then York, London, and Paris. It's going too quickly!

3 comments:

  1. I'm soooo envious! Surely, crossing the Firth of Forth from Fife will be the highlight of your entire trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary & Gilles want to know if, while in Scotland, you had a deep-fat fried Mars bar or a deep-fat fried pizza? Mmmmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly, we heard rumor this deep fried stuff existed and kept our eyes open. The best we could do was the hot dog to which I'm pointing. We asked at our hotel and they looked at us like we were nuts. I was hoping for a deep fried hot dog!

    ReplyDelete