Wednesday, October 25, 2023

The Eight Bells

 I’ve got a lot of favorite pubs in the UK. I love Flying Horse in Wye. Tiger Inn between Wye and Folkestone is amazing. But there’s a quaint pub in Chipping Campden that, if not exceeds, at least equals all the others. It’s called the Eight Bells

The food isn’t special but it’s good. We ate our Sunday dinner there:


We had a few good beers (and ciders) there, for beers“Old Hooky” and “Cotswold Bitter”. Interestingly enough, we’d stopped in the Eight Bells years ago and I had an “Old Hooky”. This trip was a re-discovery of a favorite beer (I ordered it but hadn’t realized I had some nine years ago).
The sign out front has changed. It was just a cheap painted thing and now it’s a iron cut out of bells. Looks like an artistic upgrade. But otherwise the pub is the same inside. New and old signs below:

I guess my favorite thing though is, like a lot of pubs, you’re not a stranger here if you don’t want to be. People will leave you alone if you want, or, if you engage them they’ll talk your ear off. Here’s us with our new friend “Bidi”. His master is taking the photo:
Pub culture is one of the things we love about the UK. Much different than anywhere else I’ve ever been and a lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment